LEAP is a Leadership Education Advocacy Partnership program with the goal of providing financial support for self-advocates and guardians of children/adults with developmental disabilities to participate in conferences, workshops and other training opportunities that will increase knowledge and ability to become effective self advocates. LEAP Brochure
- Applicants must reside in Arizona and be citizens of the United States (valid Arizona State issued ID needed for documentation)
- Applicant must be a self-advocate or guardian of a child/adult with a developmental disability (federal DD definition is available on the second page of the LEAP application)
Eligible events include conferences, seminars, trainings and/or workshops which enhance knowledge about disability related issues, or promote individual participation in the decisions which affect the lives of individuals with disabilities.
All events must be compatible with the Arizona Developmental Disabilities Planning Council’s mission of community integration and inclusion.
Eligible event topics include:
- Leadership Development
- Public Speaking
- Organization and Coalition Building
- Grant Writing
- Effective Adaptive Oral and Written Communication
- Effective Use of the Political Process
- Attendance at Self-Advocacy Meetings when substantive information can be obtained and applied to strengthening existing systems in a measurable way
Events that are not eligible for funding include:
- School/college courses for credit
- Recreational programs
- Summer camps
- Training focused on one family
- Vocational training
- No more than two members of the same family will be eligible to receive funding support for the same event.
- Children are not eligible for funding assistance unless the conference materials clearly state that children are a part of the agenda.
- LEAP will support individuals to attend in-state event(s) per contract year (July 1st through June 30th), with a maximum amount of support of $500.00 per person, per year.
- Out-of-State conferences will only be allowed once every two years PER FAMILY/HOUSEHOLD, maximum amount is $2,000.00.
- Meals, lodging, mileage and attendant services will be paid at State of Arizona established rates.
- LEAP funds are to be used as the funds of last resort.
- The total support amount for any one conference is limited.
- Each request is dependent upon the availability of funds.
- All events must be approved for selection prior to June 30, 2015.
- Exceptions to these limits may be considered on a case-by-case basis by Pilot Parents and the Arizona Developmental Disabilities Planning Council.
Application & Award Process
You will be reimbursed for expenses you have been approved for and for which paid receipts have been submitted. PPSA reserves the right to deny reimbursement for costs that are unallowable or not previously approved and not related to event attendance. Education materials, including books and videos, are not reimbursable. You are responsible for any amount of expenditure above the award amount. Requests for reimbursement must be submitted within 30 days following the event and must be accompanied with a completed reimbursement form, post-event survey and legible receipt copies. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in forfeiture of funding amount.
Download Application in Spanish
Please Note: Once you receive approval for funds it is your responsibility to notify Pilot Parents should you choose not to utilize the funds. This must be done no less than 2 weeks prior to the event. Failure to provide notification may result in being denied future use of LEAP Funds.
LEAP only reimburses event expenses that are approved prior to the event date. Each request is dependent upon the availability of funds.
Please contact Pilot Parents at (520) 324-3150 or Karen@pilotparents.org if you have questions, need additional information or would like to submit your application.
Partial funding was made available by the Arizona Developmental Disabilities Planning Council through contract No. ADDPC-FFY-11-1112-00-CY4.